LVN - Nursing Home
A. Education: Graduate of an accredited School of Vocational Nursing.
B. Personal Job-Related Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills.
C. Licensure, Registry or Certification: Licensed Vocational Nurse currently licensed by the State of Texas.
1. Prior Work Experience: One year of Licensed Vocational Nursing preferred.
2. Technical Training: Current CPR certification. IV Therapy course preferred. ACLS, PALS, NRP.
E. Physical and Mental Requirements: Duties of the position require extended periods of standing and walking. Bending, stooping, twisting, reaching, and lifting up to 50 pounds. Occasional heavy lifting when moving or supporting patients who may suddenly become weak or helpless.
Delivers safe patient care.
1. Administers prescribed medications per nursing policy.
2. Maintains IV therapy per nursing policy and documents and reports any
problems with IVs to the RN.
3. Executes physicians' orders under the direction of an RN.
4. Provides patient care as indicated in the care plan according to
established standards for care plan review.
5. Ensures that supplies are not wasted and assures that chargeable items
are charged for promptly and accurately.
B. Documents all information relevant to patient care.
1. Document observations on daily assessment sheet.
2. Charts nursing notes reflecting problems identified on the care plan.
3. Documents on graphic sheet and other special sheets as per hospital policy.
4. Reviews and updates the nursing care plans under the supervision
of an RN, indicating problems resolution and/or time frame changes.
5. Documents patient/family teaching on patient teaching record,
makes appropriate modifications on the care plan.
C. Maintains communication with assigned RN, health care personnel,
physicians, other department personnel and patient/family.
1. Makes walking rounds and assesses care needs for assigned patients.
2. Plans and prioritizes care for an assigned group of patients with the
supervision and direction of the Charge RN.
3. Reports all changes in patient's condition and discusses pertinent data
with the RN. 4. Notifies other departments of patients' needs, coordinating through
the Charge RN.
5. Ensures that all assigned patients receive their treatments, x-rays,
etc., on a timely basis. 6. Gives information and assistance according to patient/family needs.
D. Ensures a safe patient environment.
1. Removes from patient room and reports any equipment that is not
in working order.
2. Limits supplies and equipment in patient rooms.
3. Identifies potential patient safety problems and implements
precautions according to policy.
E. Respects patients' rights.
1. Demonstrates awareness of individual rights of patients.
2. Provides for privacy.
F. Performs related support duties as needed.
1. Checks equipment, such as crash cart.
2. Assists with narcotic check for control.
Shift : Day